Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Book 51 of 52 -- Junot Diaz' The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao




I read this book based on the Amazon reviews and I really liked it a lot because his writing style is different from what one is probably used to reading, but once I understood what he was doing, I really enjoyed it.

The book is very conversational in the way the story is told.

The book, while very funny, has a melancholy tone to it that is throughout (which I also like).

He tells the story thru many different characters eyes, and you get all of their back stories so no matter how flawed the character is, you feel for them.

He does a great job of developing all the main characters which is almost everything in a story to me.

It's definitely worth reading.

Besides -- it doesn't hurt to have it set in the area I live so that I am able to get a much better picture of what Diaz is trying to do.

No comments: