Friday, September 28, 2007

Driving to Dover -- That's Some Crazy Shit!

So... as many of you know... I head on down to see the NASCAR Nextel race twice a year at Dover Super Speedway.

I leave really early in the morning -- 3:00 am early... so when I am driving, I am assuming that besides the other idiot people going that early, it is mostly people who are coming home from hanging out.

It's right about that time of night.

So... this year... I decided to drive down on my own and meet my friends down there instead of getting up earlier and having to drive 50 miles out of the way. (It's all about arriving home at a decent hour.)

I knew it was "that time of the night" because there were two types of cars on the road -- limos with disco balls lit up and NASCAR covered trucks and vans.

Further down the road, I pulled into a New Jersey Turnpike rest stop to get some gas.

A 90 year fellow was sitting on a grass median some 75 feet away and made his way over to pump the gas into my car.

No joke, but 7 minutes later, he arrived at my car and filled the tank.

I am all for giving people work but that seemed a bit excessive and to have him working at 3:45?!?!?!

I travelled a bit further and came to a dead stop on the Delaware Route 1 for an accident.

I eventually was allowed to pass and saw a gruesome sight -- a small car had flipped over and the driver's side window was about 2 inches high now.

Ick.

So... driving really late at night is fun and if you look carefully... you will find a lot of fun things... or not.

No comments: