Thursday, February 03, 2005

Bush's Speech

I watched the whole speech and one section resonated the most with me. I find the man to be extremely hypocritical with these statements.

"Our second great responsibility to our children and grandchildren is to honor and to pass along the values that sustain a free society. So many of my generation, after a long journey, have come home to family and faith, and are determined to bring up responsible, moral children. Government is not the source of these values, but government should never undermine them. Because marriage is a sacred institution and the foundation of society, it should not be re-defined by activist judges. For the good of families, children, and society, I support a constitutional amendment to protect the institution of marriage."

I am sure someone will find fault with my statements as well, but I find the whole argument for supporting a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriages to be entirely hypocritical.

1. He states that the government should not be the source of our nation's values. Yet... isn't codifying it in the United States Constitution -- in fact -- making the United States Government, through its fundamental governing statement, the source of values of a country? I think so.

2. These statements represent my primary problem with organized religion in the 21st Century. Organized religion used to be about inclusion... about accepting people who needed help and spiritual guidance and promoting the beauty and love of a higher power. Whether you agree that there is a higher power or not is your own choice, but the fundamental nature behind religion was to include... Now... I find that religion is about EXCLUSION. You are not like me or us so you can't belong. It is the same logic that goes into establishing an antigay marriage amendment in the United States Constitution. Whatever happened to by the people, of the people, and for the people? It is there... but not if you are different. The next step in this whole argument scares me... I hope it doesn't get anywhere near a Constitutional amendment... and I really suggest that people just let people be people for goodness sake. God would want you to...

2 comments:

LITBMueller said...

I totally agree, dude. The Republican mantra is "people around the world should be free and share in the blessings of libert....except them there gay people..." For more on how hyprocritical and contradictory Bush's rhetoric is, check this out: http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=18490

LITBMueller said...

I totally agree, dude. The Republican mantra is "people around the world should be free and share in the blessings of libert....except them there gay people..." For more on how hyprocritical and contradictory Bush's rhetoric is, check this out: http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=18490