Thursday, February 03, 2005

International Star Registry -- My Blog Will be Stored in Book Form


I was driving up Route 1 yesterday listening to the esoteric ramblings of Sid and Joe when they took a commercial break. The first commercial was for the International Star Registry and it wasn't one of the normal commercials that the company normally plays.

Normally, the commercials feature some lame guy telling us that the best gift is to have a star named after your loved one and you will even get corresponding paperwork identifying it as named after your loved ones!!!

The new commercial features a man and a woman talking and the man gives the woman the lovely paperwork stating that a star was named after her. That's fine. It was her reaction that threw me for a loop. She reacted as though it was the greatest gift ever!

Now... including muh wife and the last two girls I have dated... no woman that I have ever given gifts too has ever expressed an interest in having a star named after them. In fact -- especially my wife -- has been completely adamant at how they DO NOT want such a lame gift!

So... this commercial has finally inspired me to go to the website and look up the International Star Registry (www.starregistry.com). They have a variety of options but here is the main gist.

"For $54, plus shipping and handling, you can name a star. Naming stars since 1979, our list of satisfied customers include celebrities, dignitaries, and individuals worldwide. We have named hundreds of thousands of stars for people from all walks of life. So, whether it be for your sweetheart or your top sales agent, a star name makes a unique and welcome gift. The International Star Registry gift package includes a beautiful 12" x 16" parchment certificate, available framed or unframed, with the name of your choice, dedication date, and telescopic coordinates of the star. You'll also receive an informative booklet with charts of the constellations plus a larger, more detailed chart with the star you name encircled in red."

I have immediately begun to laugh at the prospect... I want to buy a star... I really do..but I have a wife that doesn't want one and dangit... if I buy it for someone else... I will be accused of possibly cheating.

I know... I will buy one and call it Smelmooo ... that way when I hear Casey Kasem tell to keep reaching for the stars... I will be reaching for muhself instead of some lucky lady.

Or.... I could buy a star and call it .. Mrs. Smelmooo. Could she really argue with that? I am not sure.

Or... I could buy a star and call it Asphalt... They would probably think I was being a dirty birdie...

Or.... I could buy a star and call it George W. Bush... nah... he is a putz... why ruin the whole system for everyone else. Besides... he already thinks he is God anyway...

Screw it... I am just going to keep giggling at the commercials when they come on... it makes me feel better...

No comments: