Friday, February 04, 2005

The Smelmooo's Super Sign of Springs'acomin'

It is with great anticipation every year that I look forward to be what I believe is the REAL indicator that Spring is here.

Traditionally, it is when you see the first Robin and her red breasts but not me... I look at it differently.

Some people feel that when you finally reach a point where snow couldn't possibly come anymore and you see a 50 degree weather day as a sign of Spring... but not me... I look at it differently.

Other sticklers view the 20th or so of March as the beginning of March... well sure... if you want to be a stickler for facts and details...but I STILL look at it differently.

This year... the first day of Spring is February 15th.

That is the day that the first set of pitchers and catchers show up for Spring Training in the Major Baseball League. It is this indication that tells me that I am very close to hot and sweaty nights where the electricity goes out and all I have is a transister radio to listen to the ball games or being outside with a cold drink listening to the game as you hear kids playing and screaming gleefully from down the street.

It is the beginning of another 9 month adventure of super happy funness.

Three teams -- The Cincinnati Reds, The Washington Nationals, and the New York Yankees have players reporting that day... and I thank them for it.

Spring Training games don't start until around March 1st which is a more prominent indicator of Spring to many, but I need that feeling earlier... so pitchers and catchers it is!

No comments: