Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Flying to Phoenix -- I Hate People

Oh boy...

Just thinking about this trip gets me all tied up in the stomach.

During my recent 2 weeks away from home in two different cities, I had to fly from St. Thomas to Phoenix, Arizona.

There are no direct flights between those two cities.

The only option I had was to fly three separate flights.

The first leg was a hop and a skip over to San Juan.
The second leg was the longest leg and it was from San Juan to Houston.
The third leg rounded out the trip and was from Houston to Phoenix.

All in all? 17 hours travelling time.

Two things stood out on my rather long trip where I read two books and tried to sleep as much as possible, but that is always impossible for me on flights.

The first leg of the trip saw me hanging out in the terminal when a small man popped his head into the terminal and said... "Who here is on flight XXX? Come with me."

Seven of us followed him to his little plane and he said to me, "You can sit next to me."

I sat next to him on his little itty bitty plane and I was extremely concerned to be sitting in the front seat where I could punch out the pilot if I really wanted to.

I have an issue with take offs when I fly, so I thought that this was going to be pretty tough -- it turned out to be extremely soothing since I was able to see everything.

Phew.

The next leg of the flight was five hours and I was sitting next to this couple who had a 2-3 year old who stood ... the entire flight... at the feet of the mother.

She cried and screamed... THE ENTIRE FIVE HOUR FLIGHT and taxiing as well.

I really ... seriously... give a pass to parents that make the attempt to quiet their kids, but these parents essentially ignored their child the entire trip.

If the flight wasn't full, I would have.... nothing....

When I arrived in Houston, I checked in with my office and was pretty crabby (I was told later), but managed to get through the call.

Just to piss me off... I dropped lunch all down the front of my shirt -- ruining it.

Great... but at least I made it to Phoenix safely and in "good" time.

A hotel bed has never felt so good.

No comments: