Wednesday, October 27, 2004

What a surprise...AND Sports From Europe...

I want to admit to you that I was surprised when I came home yesterday from the honeymoon to see that the Yankees had not finished off the Red Sox while we were out of commission with the rest of the world.

There was a rather New York looking couple also on the cruise line that apparently had to check the internet each day to see how their teams were fairing. He broke the news to me on Day 7 or 8 while we were in the middle of the bay in Santorini, Greece.

I had flipped on the only English station in our Venice hotel room to see that the Yankees had taken a three to zero lead over the Red Sox. I then went on the cruise.

When the hairy fella let me know the results that the Red Sox had found a way to win four straight and win the series, I was dumb founded. I can't say that I was really that shocked or upset but I was certainly dumbfounded. How could this happen? It did.

Oh well... here's to next year. If the Sox find a way of blowing their 3-0 lead in the World Series this year... then there is truly a curse... I haven't believed it totally... but if it happens this year... I think all Red Sox fans should just up and quit.

Now... back to the only English speaking station in all of Venice. The station was CNN Europe. They have a totally different set of reporters and cover the United States pretty much from their studios. Not a bad deal.

Their sports coverage was pretty weak and you were lucky if you got any American sports scores. I was mostly surprised by the sports they chose to lead with. In the 5 minute sports segment every hour, they covered a Cricket tournament, an F1 race won by an Italian, and some sort of German Football league. That's about it...

At least they sometimes covered the ACLS. They didn't say anything about the NCLS... I didn't even know who won that until we arrived yesterday.

Peace out and time to go to work.

No comments: