Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Getting a Massage

I am a 33 year old grown up male. For the first 32 years and 2 months of my life I never once got a proper massage. For Christmas last year, muh wife purchased a massage for me. It was part of a couple’s massage package where we would both get rubbed down in the same room.

I was wary of the whole situation.

A significant part of my childhood and upbringing was to not waste money on superfluous items such as massages or dessert if I didn’t have the money. This was one of the major reasons that I have never had a massage before – aside from the … “Ick… no one else except muh lady should ever touch muh body” syndrome.

The massage came and went in January 2006 and I have to admit that I loved it. So much so that over the next year, muh wife and I splurged on two more at strategic points in the year. All massages were couple’s massages and were fantastic.

All were Swedish massages. For the uninitiated, Swedish massages essentially focus on all parts of the body but the tummy and private parts.

Then… recently on one of my many trips, muh wife and I got another massage. It was exceptional UNTIL… the massuese started rubbing my tummy.

“AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” went through muh head… and I was surprised that I didn’t say anything out loud… It was for two main reasons actually. 1. She didn’t speak English. 2. I was basically asleep since it was so good up to that point.

So what is the question and point to all of this?

I am curious… did anyone else ever have a Swedish massage where your tummy was rubbed like a troll?

I just want to know if it was a Dominican thing or not.

2 comments:

tangentwoman said...

I was horrified by the stomach-rubbing and the hair-pulling (and pained by the rotation of my ankles so they formed a 180-degree angle) - I'd never experienced anything like it.

Anonymous said...

yes, same thing happened to me in the dominican republic... and i had the same reaction! quite odd. but speaks to our puritan american culture, too. it's a tummy, really, so what? but we are still horrified. so there you go.
-Abby