Monday, February 12, 2007

Skeet Shooting

One of the perks of our recent all inclusive trip to a resort in the Dominican Republic was that I was able to try something that I have never done before.

I got to go skeet shooting.

The package included 25 free rounds and a lesson for “free.” I made my reservation and was pleased to hear that muh wife was going to cash in her round as well. We went together.

We were both excited by the idea and got up that morning ready to shoot some guns! (Neither of us had ever done it before…)

We drove on over to the Shooting Center, which was in the middle of nowhere. It was literally far away and in the middle of tons of wildlife. The trip was long and as we made the trip, we got more and more nervous about what we were about to do.

We pulled into the parking lot and walked into the massive shooting center. We told the front desk that we were there for our lesson and they gave us each a vest, ear plugs, and a big heavy box of “bullets” to shoot.

Our guide took us to the course and we were given a lesson. It was extremely scary the first two times that I shot the gun. The kickback was stronger than we expected and the loud noise of a large gun made while our faces were on the gun also scared us. It took two shots for me to get over it and begin to enjoy shooting at the clay disks.

I shot about half of my rounds and hit about 20% of my targets. Then muh wife stepped up and picked it up pretty quickly. She hit about 50% of his targets. She will claim that she was so successful because our guide had his hand on the gun, but he had his hand on my gun too. Whatever… She was much better about it than me and she should be commended.

No comments: