Saturday, June 19, 2004

Brian + Muh Honey = Murderers

Today was an interesting day. I woke up at my usual crack of the morning time, and I was feeling like I needed to get something accomplished.

I weeded.

We have spent a great deal of our time focussing on the inside of the house and becoming a part of the community -- as per past posts.

Today, I began the arduous task of weeding and setting the outside of our house straight. The numerous flowerbeds were overrun with weeds, and we needed to curb the unwanted growth in those areas. We wanted pretty flowerbeds before we had more company over.

Why haven't we done much? We painted. We cleaned. We moved in furniture. We organized. It also didn't help that there have been some of the most humid days I can remember so we didn't want to spend time outside. This lack of attention assisted the deterioration of the habitat that the previous owner intended to be there. (side note -- she was quite the green thumb and somewhere between closing and signing the contract, she must have planted over 100 plants... but I digress...)

As much as we appreciate the beautiful pansies and flowers planted in proliferation around our new house, they are kind of a pain in the ass. The lack of rain hasn't helped their well being either.

But look at me making excuses for just not taking care of plants. They say that if you can't even keep a plant, then you shouldn't take care of a child either. Four flower boxes on the front of our house and a hanging plant recently met their demise because of these aforementioned reasons... or wait... is it because the two of us were negligent and killed the plants in an unsatisfactorily fashion?

The latter...

We have learned an important lesson today. Life is fragile and we really need to apply some tender loving care to all living creatures or they will all die an untimely and horrible death.

Blech... the real lesson learned is... flowers be damned.. I would rather have a couch and a DVD player set up to watch The Office -- Season Two then take busy time out of my schedule to water some stupid pansies.

I love life's lessons... they teach me so much.

No comments: