Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Fountains of Wayne

"Stacey's Mom" was a recent hit and introduced me to a band that has been around for awhile. They hit it big with this kind of dopey song. They reached national prominence when Rachel Hunter agreed to play Stacey's Mom in their music video. It was a stroke of genius to get them on the map. Every red blooded American male lusted after Rachel Hunter at one point or another in her career -- most likely from Sports Illustrated.

Unfortunately, Fountains of Wayne has not shaken the Stacey's Mom monkey off its back and will most likely go down as a one hit wonder. This is an absolute shame. Their most recent album Welcome Interstate Managers is brilliant work. Entertainment Weekly even listed it as their number one album of the year.

Ok... I have to admit... Based upon the merits of Stacey's Mom, I totally wrote this group off too as a fun and goofy band that had maybe one hit in them. I never even tried any of their other music. I just wrote them off.

It was the Entertainment Weekly that actually opened my mind. It took a couple of experts in a magazine to open up my mind. Funny thing is... I don't usually agree with their opinions on anything... but this time... I decided to listen to them. Go figure. They even listed them as the best band that no one will ever hear.

I started to see other annual lists that included the album on their top ten lists. I gave them a try. I am so glad I did... The thing that gets me is that they have an extremely wide range from pop to rock to something that even sounds countryish. I hate country... but this song is awesome. If you are checking them out and you can Download a song or two, I suggest you go with Red Dragon Tattoo, Bright Future in Sales, or Hey Julie. All good songs.

Also... just as a side note... for anyone that watched the first two episodes of Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital -- that totally fun song that the writer is listening to when he gets hit by the car? Red Dragon Tattoo.

I hope that I can at least open one or two minds with this post. You must check them out.

Happy Blogging.

1 comment:

mickeyg said...

For some reason I think they are a Jersey band - maybe it's the Wayne part, or maybe I actually heard that somewhere. But I've heard them and I like them.

Hey, is Kingdom Hospital still on - was it a series or a mini-series or what?

g