Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Thing I Did That I Am Proud Of

I am a somewhat handy person. I can often figure out what is wrong with something and figure out the solution pretty easily with a bit of research and wherewithall.

Our downstairs toilet was running a couple of weeks ago and it was driving me insane. I solved the problem temporarily by opening up the top and wedging a towel into between the side of the bowl and the floating ball.

The floating ball was the problem. Its angle was off and I had to figure out a way to get it to float on the water and not sink. Sinking caused the water to continue to run and be wasted.

The first solution was to bend the arm of the ball, but I had a problem with that. The arm was made of plastic and apparently, this is weird.

When I went to Home Depot to ask some quick questions and find a replacement part, the salesman told me that I should bend the arm. When I responded that the arm was made of plastic, he was incredulous and couldn't believe it... "I have never heard of that before."...

Thanks tub tub...

So I bought a replacement fill valve and went home to get to work...It took me about 30 minutes to figure out what was going on in terms of parts and what not, but I eventually got it.

I was extremely proud of myself, because I really don't have much experience in any of this and part of me hopes the other toilet malfunctions too!

4 comments:

Smelmooo said...

SZG has quite the memory!!!

Too bad he can't remember to write in his own blog...

We are all entertained by him!

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt your ass will break the other toilet too :-) Lucky you!!!

Smelmooo said...

I wish more people read this one... you are too kind.

ArtieLange said...

your potty is running? Quick catch it! don't let it get away! Perhaps it was the stench of your movements that caused it to flee.