Wednesday, May 31, 2006

At the Drive In Movie Theater....Muh Wife's First Time

Before recently, I have been to a Drive In Theater twice in my life. I was very young and there used to be one in the town that I grew up -- Ringoes, NJ. I have some very fond memories of the place where... half of which are my actual memories and half of which are combined with the images of the drive in ending of Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

One of the memories that comes up every few months with my mother is that the family went to see the Empire Strikes Back and the second movie was Aliens. Everyone but her fell asleep for this second movie and my mom still cringes to this day about the John Hurt moment when the alien blasted out of his gut. It is my impression that my mother didn't know what the movie was about when she saw that.

It soon closed after that as have every single drive in in the state of New Jersey. Of the 2000+ active drive ins in the country there are ZERO in New Jersey.

I must say... that if there was a drive in in New Jersey, I can guarantee that I would go ... a lot. I don't have to deal with jack asses on cell phones and I can recline my seat. It would be heaven.

Muh wife, however, didn't have any of these memories growing up so when we found out that there was going to be a drive in theater around the corner from an inn we were staying at while on a mini vacation, she was super excited. We planned on going there for over a month.



We pulled up about 20 minutes before show time and were offered a choice of two double headers. #1 -- RV with Robin Williams and Benchwarmers or #2 Ice Age 2 and Aquamarine. We weren't really thrilled with any of them, but we chose screen 1 since I wanted to see Benchwarmers and figured that RV couldn't be all that bad.

We pulled up and parked and tested out our speaker.



Everything worked great in the Big Blue Buick... but we got a bit scared when our next door neighbors started dropping the F Bomb and calling another car's driver by other derogatory names. You see... when you are in Virginia and you go to a drive in, the clientele is a bit suspect. Well...this pair of "mothers"...had much more bark than bite, and we settled into the car for the double feature after getting a huge tub of popcorn.



Muh wife wants to go again... and so do I ... When we do go though... we are going to have to copy another family a couple of cars down. The three of them were sitting in the back of the car and they were eating pizza... ahhh... fun!

I don't know if it was the location or the new experience, but we enjoyed both flicks... Benchwarmers much more...

I think we need to find the closest drive in to us and make a road trip out of it.

5 comments:

tangentwoman said...

I think we need to go to the one in Coxsackie, NY, on the way up to 'toga!

Hee. Coxsackie.

Smelmooo said...

Yer.... dirty...

ArtieLange said...

Just read your headline. My first time was at a drive-in, as well. I couldn't sit for a week.

Anyway, I'd like to correct something you stated. The Delsea Drive-In in Vineland is alive and kicking. I believe it reopened in 2004.

mickeyg said...

Hey, I'm all in for roadtripping to a drive in - let's do it!

seth said...

I may have actually been to the Coxsackie drive in!!! Well, I'm not sure, but my one and only experience at a drive in was with a college girlfriend....we were at her parents home for some break and they live near/in Albany...on the way up to "'toga" I believe.