Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Proliferation of the ABC Stores

There are many jokes out there about how many Starbucks stores there are in the world and especially in Seattle. When I was in Seattle recently, I didn't really notice any different amount of Starbucks as say a New York City or Washington, DC but I certainly noticed that there were a lot of them.

On a recent trip to Hawaii, muh wife and I were the witness of something far more odd.

We got to the hotel really late that first evening and decided to sneak out for a quick bite to eat. We left the hotel and walked the block to the beach and its main strip. The main strip consists of businesses on only one side of the road while the beach consists the other side. In the one block walk to the beach we passed two ABC Stores. They seemed to sell similar stuff, but we didn't pay much attention to it.

If you want to know what an ABC Store is... click here... http://www.abcstores.com/ I would call it a WaWa or 7-11.

We walked about 5-7 blocks on the main drag. In that walk, we must have passed about 20 ABC Stores. That's right... about 20 and they all sold basically the same thing.

That doesn't really bother me... it was the fact that they had so many of them and all so close to each other AND...they were all full of people!

That seemed a bit excessive to us.

I gotta be honest... I figured that I was just imagining things...as it was about 3 am in East Coast time... so it couldn't really have been going on... right? I waited until the next morning to reserve judgment....and they were still there the next morning.

Man... how many of the ABC Stores are really needed?

At least we bought stuff in them.

No comments: