Thursday, March 31, 2005

Monster Ballads

I recently attended the wedding of a high school friend of mine and i was reaquainted with some old high school buddies that I used to run with. It was like old times and I was glad to see them again.

Recently, I also came across a CD on my iPod that reminded me of the old high school days as well.

It was the Monster Ballads CD that came out a few years ago and was pretty much sold on television and online. My copy came from a garage sale, I am proud to announce. I own it and I am proud.

Many of the songs give me some happy, sad and funny memories.

Strap in... here we go down memory lane...as least on 5 of the 20+ songs on the CD.

1. Heaven by Warrant -- Oh man did I used to love watching Star Search. Every Saturday, I would watch the spokesmodel and comedian competitions with great earnest. Bobby Brown (a hot blonde bombshell) won ten weeks in a row one season. She later married the lead singer of Warrant and was featured in the Cherry Pie video. My friends and I used to love that video... so much.

2. Something to Believe In by Poison -- Oh boy did my friends and I love Poison. This song struck some incredible memories for me from school dances. It was a slow song that us "cool" guys could actually go out on the dance floor and dance to. Sophomore Semi-formal with Maribel.... ahhh.... the mammories... I mean... ummm...memories. :-P

3. Carrie by Europe -- This song was named Carrie, yet we always wanted to get a band like Europe to write a song about our girl. I remember trying to somehow fit girls' names into that two syllable beat... it never worked....

4. More Than Words by Extreme -- My friends could play guitar and they tried to imitate Nuno Bettencourt as he did some sort of double pick thing in this song. Eric's basement was always the scene for this battle of the fingertips as I sat and watched them all have talent I didn't have.

5. Headed for a Heartbreak by Winger -- Winger... what a joke... I just wanted to mention his band because it cracks me up.... I suppose there were worse metal heros... like... uhh... Nelson...

Thanks...

You can get out of the car now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I made a Monster Ballad mix tape for the boy I liked in 7th grade; it was called "Hey! I thought you were a heavy metal band!" And then he totally dumped me via his best friend.

Anyway, I think it'd work perfectly to substitute "Muh Honey" for "Carrie." It even rhymes!

-- YH