Friday, March 18, 2005

Saying a Prayer...

I was at a pretty big conference recently and I was eating lunch with a group of people that I knew fairly well. There was one guy at the table that I didn't know and he was pretty quiet throughout the entire meal until the hot part of the lunch came around.

That is when he bowed his head and said a prayer. I have seen that before...and I have absolutely no problem with it. In fact, I find it kind of nice to see that people are comfortable enough to do that kind of thing in public.

It was what he did next that threw me for a loop.

He went from praying silently to praying out loud to praying very loudly. It was loud enough so that I could barely hear the person next to me when she was saying some things to me.

Does this happen often? I go to meetings like this all the time and perhaps it is the type of people that I see at these meetings and the fact that I can pretty much sit with the same people at each of these meetings so I might not be around a lot of them.... but it just seemed borderline rude to me.

Like I said earlier...I have no problem with most public displays of religion as I have no problem with public displays of approval. It is when it is taken to a point that interferes with my personal space.

For example, if someone at the lunch said... "This is really good beef," I would nod my head and concur. If the next person said at the loudest he possibly could, "I AGREE! THIS BEEF ROCKS!" I would be annoyed. Keep that stuff to yourself or quiet.

This is similar to the guy across the table from me. I respect your right to pray... just keep it to a whisper or something...

I digress....

No comments: