Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Terri Schiavo Case

I was reading a friend's blog... and she wrote the following....

"How awful the Terri Schiavo case is, and how you can simultaneously feel so awful for her husband and her parents, but more for her husband, I think, since he's being completely vilified."

It is this comment and others that have me thinking a few things.

1. I tend to agree with my friend here 100%.

2. I am completely entrenched in the 68% that believe the tube should be removed. I am so as I feel that her quality of life has been completely removed. Let her have some dignity. (see below regarding method of death)

3. I find it hypocritical that the traditional conservatives have found it necessary to impose big government -- something so implicitly incongruos with their normal beliefs -- on an issue of personal liberty.

4. We give nice lethal injections to convicted murderers, yet we are going to let this woman starve. Something seems wrong about that as well.

5. I heard someone chastize Michael Schiavo for moving on with his life and starting a new family. Literally, that seems like an incorrect action since his marriage by law is to another woman -- a woman in a vegetative state -- but another live woman. However, I feel as though the mitigating circumstances here are unique. I wish they would stop vilifying him.

6. When they got married, that pretty much took the say out of the parent's hands. As much as I want to say that my parent's might know what I want, muh wife knows my thoughts about this a lot better than she does.

If this case has done anything, it has increased the value of living wills. The reason this whole case is where it is is because the couple didn't take the time to create one. None of this would have happened if there was a living will.

It is for this reason that I am glad that my wife and I have prepared living wills and that she knows... in writing... my explicit wishes are spelled out and there is no mistaking what I want if I ever reach a point like this.

I just add one final thought... I wish this would come to an end... it is making me sad that there are so many people out there who just don't get it... the blinders need to be put down once... just once.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adding a PSA for those of you interested in doing a living will:



This is a pretty straightforward document that's valid in most states.

-- YH

Anonymous said...

Sorry -- not so good with the coding; this should work:

mickeyg said...

my honey and I had a long discussion about this, and not only do we both agree we want living wills - he wants his to include that I sing "pop goes the weasel" when the plug gets pulled. Is that wrong?

g

seth said...

I had thought about blogging on this very same topic but didn’t want to “get into it”. Since Brian did, I’ll add my $0.02

I totally agree, the feeding tube should be removed and not be reinstated. I also totally agree that the decision should be the husbands and not the parents.

I’m 100% sick of hearing people that “we shouldn’t play god” and similar such statement. The fact of the matter is, humans “play god” all the damn time, but it’s usually to save a life. Humans interfere with nature’s course often. It is very sad what happened to Terri Schiavo but from the day she was put on the feeding tube humans were playing god.

It has been medically proven that Terri does not feel pain in the sense of the word “pain” as you and I would feel pain. Yes, her hand will squeeze if you put something against her fingers, but that is not a cognitive decision that a primal reaction.

Another part of this case that really upsets me surrounds the comments people are making that Terri’s rights need to be protected. I fully agree her rights need to be protected, however I believe they are and have been. Terri’s husband has won every single court case and decision during the 15 year battle that resulted form Terri’s unfortunate situation. How many times must the courts and the law agree with Terri’s husband before the Governor of Florida, and various other political and religious figures stop trying to block the legally valid move of allowing the feeding tube to be removed. As much as people do not want to hear it, this is not a religious debate it’s a legal one. Like some many times in this country (and others) people are trying to impose their personal religious beliefs on someone else.

seth said...

Just a quick update:
U.S. Supreme Court rejects Schiavo parents' appeal (it was the fifth time the case has been presented to the Supreme Court, which has consistently refused to hear it.)

Twenty court rulings have sided with Michael Schiavo, Terri's husband and guardian. The courts have ruled that evidence shows Terri Schiavo expressed her wishes, although she did not have a written living will.
----CNN.com

What more do people want? Let the poor woman die already.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your thoughts Brian. It is a sad state of affairs and I feel guilty for saying this, but I almost hope she dies before her parents figure out a way to get the tube reinserted.
Oh and quick note about living wills...even with one, doctors don't always make it easy either. My mom had to threaten to take her case to the ethics' committee when a doctor refused to "unplug" my great aunt who had a living will.