Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Life Without Howard

Dear Radio Fans,

Last week was Howard Stern's final broadcast on free radio.

Let me get a few things out first.

I enjoy listening to Howard Stern for a variety of reasons.

1. It was pretty much the only thing on.
2. He was both funny and serious.
3. He was interesting and made me laugh...and cringe.
4. My radio was always set for KRock.

I would never consider myself a Howard-phile at all. I would never think of going to a live event of his nor would I think of calling in or being on his show. It doesn't/didn't appeal to me.

However, I really liked listening to him...and as he has gotten "good again" over the past year, I have no problem admitting it. Friends of mine might remember me bashing him for awhile there as I felt he was tired and boring without any inspiration. His announcement about Sirius changed all that.

So now... I asked myself... would I pay $12 a month to listen to him and get the rest of the original programming at Sirius?

It was an easy answer for me as my ride to work is only 1.5 miles long -- hardly long enough to get into anything decent and when muh wife and I are actually in the house... we are iPod or Cablevision music channel people first and foremost.

No.

However...if I lived 30 miles away... I would have considered it greatly...

So now... he is gone...and for some strange reason, I feel a tad empty...but not too empty...as I am excited by the return of Leslie Gold -- The Radio Chick to the airwaves...(She will be 3-7 and will be joined by Butch and Chuck Nice -- one of the black guys on Best Week Ever.)

Life is good...and I wish Howard the best of luck in his new endeavour... he made me laugh...and I thank him for it.

The Smelmooo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Radio Chick is awesome!! Also, I had no idea Chuck Nice of BWE was THAT chuck!
-Shari

seth said...

Next time we go out somewhere, I'll drive so you can listen to Howard 100 on my radio...hopefully that will bring some joy to you.