Monday, December 05, 2005

Reflections From the Front Row



As I have so eloquently bragged about, I was fortunate enough to snag a pair of front tickets to the Barenaked Ladies show on Saturday night.

I got them last minute and I had the tickets left at the Will Call window for my pick up. I walked up excitedly as I waited for J to show up on a very, very cold Saturday night in god's country, South Jersey. I proudly stated my name and asked for my two tickets. The woman behind the window perked up and started searching for my tickets.

10 minutes and 35 apologies later, they finally found my tickets -- under the initial for my first name... weird... but ok. They scared me there for about 9 minutes and 52 seconds.

J finally arrived and we made our way down to the front row. We knew we were in a special place when we looked at the signs in the theater and saw that each section was marked above each door -- to assist with seating. Our section was nowhere to be found. The nice old lady at the section 3, 4, 5 entryway informed us that we had special seats so we were able to get to our seats from ANY section.

Excited by the long walk, we walked with purpose and drive. So much so...that when we got to a pair of steps that separated the back section from the front section, we missed them...rather... I missed them and took a modified spill down the steps.

Embarrassed but strong since my seats were far better than those a-holes that were laughing at me, we made our way down.

"This is where we...weren't..."


At most concerts, there is a space betweent he audience and the stage... with proper security in place to prevent a rush on the stage.... there was none of that. It was so laid back that I made sure that I sat ..only for a few seconds... on the stage during intermission. We were literally in the spot where we were sweat on by the performers... that's frigging close...

So the show went on and on and on... and it was awesome... I must make one observation about why being in the front row is cool. You are not blasted by the speakers. J and I could ..if we wanted to... carry on a regular conversation like we were in a crowded tourist restaurant. No screaming... no close talking... just regular conversation...



We also felt kind of dopey standing up front because we felt as though our humungous heads were blocking the rest of the audience. That's just silly talk though.

So... sadly... the concert came to an end... and we were sad... but not sad enough since we were close enough for these highlights:

1. I shook hands with Stephen and Kevin.
2 I highfived Jim.
3. J was tossed a special BNL guitar pick to Kevin.
4. Tyler handed me one of his used drum sticks that was also autographed! I have tried taking pictures of it and have failed with every attempt.

It was a great night... with one down side.... I knew muh honey was at the Bon Jovi show... and her nose was bleeding... but at least she had a killer time!

I heart Barenaked Ladies....

No comments: