Friday, December 02, 2005

A Tale of Persistence, Cheapness, and Being Lucky as Sh*t

About three weeks ago, muh friend J and I decided that we wanted to see a random Barenaked Ladies show in South Jersey. Muh wife was already in possession of some tickets to see Bon Jovi with her sisters that same night so I was free as a bird.

By the time we made the decision to go, Ticketmaster was out of tickets. I began to search and bid on a variety of auctions on eBay for BNL tickets. We had an amount that we were willing to pay which was about 10-15 dollars over face value per ticket.

Even up until very late on wednesday night, we were constantly getting outbid -- even losing auctions in the last 15 seconds. It was getting frustrating but we just weren't willing to dish out top dollars for mediocre seats. It just wasn't in my being.

We must have looked at 30+ auctions and bid on the 15 or so that were reasonable. We were cheap and we were persistent.

Then... for some strange reason... I decided to give Ticketmaster another try.

What I found was two tickets to Section 11 in this seating configuration.

As you can see, Section 11 is nowhere to be found in the entire listing. I got a little nervous...so I called the theater...

"Umm... hi... I just purchased two tickets to see BNL on Saturday and it says for section 11...and I can't find Section 11 anywhere on your website."

Her response, "That's because that is the section where they sweat on you."

"So... you are saying we are in the pit?"

"Yes... and I am assuming that you purchased the two tickets that I JUST put up for sale on Ticketmaster about 3 mintues ago."

"I am... I bought them about 3 minutes ago."

She said, "I was just thinking that someone was going to find these tickets and think about how much of a lucky day they had...."

I replied, "You are right... I did think that...and now I am thinking that I love you... Thank you so much..."

She laughed and we parted ways....

Literally... a whim and a few seconds either way and I wouldn't have these tickets... sometimes... life is awesome...


P.S. We are in the FRONT row... 2 seats off the exact center of the stage... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Although I did not go through as many channels as you did, my friends and I had a similar experience with Billy Joel tickets. We had no idea where we were sitting until we got to the show. First row. They had released additional seats and we lucked out.

seth said...

As Carrie points out, sometimes bands often release tickets in the last few days/hours prior to a show. These are tickets that were meant for their friends/family and just never get handed out to people, so they sell them last minute.

Congrats on your good fortune.

Smelmooo said...

ummmm ... thanks..

I asked about these tickets... and they were actually for a handicapped person who could no longer go.

god bless prior commitments...