Monday, April 24, 2006

A Night Out To See David Sedaris

Muh wife and I don't share too much in common when it comes to books. I tend to enjoy fluff while she tends to enjoy more of the "important" works. To illustrate my point, muh wife has a copy of the Scarlet Letter on an end table to read in the near future while I recently read the biography of a WWE wrestler -- Eddie Guerrero.

Two authors that we do share are David Sedaris and J.K. Rowling. Rowling is the author of the Harry Potter series and David Sedaris is a humorist who writes mostly memoirs -- not anything like that Frey f-er.

We both enjoy the wit and luxury that he takes with his words.



With that in mind, I purchased a set of tickets for us to see him earlier this month at the McCarter Theater in Princeton. He generally reads his work for 75 minutes and then takes questions from the audience. Hearing his voice read his own words is always exciting for the two of us because we generally leave the place with a sore belly.

This year was no exception.

We got there early and went for a walk around the theater. It was a nice enough night out and we enjoyed the walk. When we got to the theater, it made us smile to see David mingling with the crowd and autographing books. We wished we had remembered to bring the few books that we have that aren't signed for him to sign.

We waited in one of the less busy lobbies and were lucky to bump into two friends of ours that we knew were at the show. It is always good to see these two lovely sisters and get caught up with them. We separated and made our way to our seats...

... but when we got there... the seats were full with an annoying couple. We politely informed this young couple that they were in our seats and they mumbled and grumbled. I will not be able to do this justice as it was more of the inflection of their voices that annoyed us more than the actual words that they said.

I made a comment that they were our seats that they were sitting in as I pointed out that we had the tickets for seats 13 and 15. She was quick to respond with a comment in a most condescending manner of "What row?" I said, "Your row." She and her man grumbled some more and eventually got up. Their words saying soemthing to the effect of... "What's the difference of two seats... why can't we sit there... blah blah blah..."

Their attitude was pathetic as they moved over and it annoyed me. It gave me more fuel to my destesting those that feel as though they are better than everyone else. But... I digress...

The show was perfect except for one thing. I always forget that when I go to a show like this, people's laughter is not as muted as when you go see a comedy in a movie. The movie drowns out a lot of the people, but in a theater, you get to hear a lot of different types of laughter such as:

Honkers
Snorters
Gaspers
Gigglers
Screechers

Ever just want to poke someone in the eyes for their laugh? I know you all do.

So the night ended and we drove home happy to have had another awesome night together. We were just bummed that it was a school night.

No comments: