Monday, July 17, 2006

Getting Change -- A Moral Dilema

So... the other day... I went to a convenience store off the beaten path to buy some of the normal things that I buy for a day at the office. This was the first time that I have ever been to this particular store and I will probably never return to this place.

The bill came to $2.23.

I handed the attendant a 5 dollar bill and left without looking at my change. I was in a bit of a hurry and shoved the bills and coins in muh pocket.

When I got to the office, I pulled the money out to neatly put it into my wallet and drop the coins into a cup I have around to put loose change in. The coins fell out of my hand and onto the desk.

That's when I noticed that the three quarters were actually silver dollars... so when I did the math, I somehow made two cents on the transaction AND got the items that I wanted.

I'll be honest. If I had discovered the mistake at the time of the transaction, I would have told the attendant and gotten teh correct change, but because I didn't pay attention and walked out in a hurry, I was able to benefit from someone's mistake.

It almost doesn't seem worth it to take back the $2 difference to the store and I probably won't.

How many of you out there would actually take the money back? It's an interesting question and it makes me wonder if I am a bad person or if I am simply putting too much thought into this.

I am leaning towards the latter.

5 comments:

tangentwoman said...

I know I generally like to sit up on my moral high horse, but I'm with you on this one. If I'd noticed it right away, then I'd have said something, but I think that trying to give it back after the fact puts you in the same position as Earl trying to pay his back-taxes.

If you were to go back, though, you could leave a big tip or something to make yourself feel better.

mickeyg said...

You're thinkig way to much about it. I would chalk it up to someone in the universe giving you a big smooch, cause there are times when I'm sure you get the big raspberry and you get the wrong change after you have left the store.

ArtieLange said...

Enjoy hell, you scumbag!

steakbellie said...

I think because it's such a small amount of money, and the fact that you didnt notice it til you had already gone home, (and the fact that $2 will not even buy the gas it will take to schlep out there) you're ok.

Use the cash to buy a box of GirlScout Cookies, or Lemonade from one of those enterprising little bastards on the side of the road. Think of it as a chance to make someones day.

Mary Lois said...

I think the statute of limitations on receiving $2 too much in change runs out after 45 minutes.