Thursday, July 13, 2006

Strange Plane Sighting...

Last week, I was driving around New Jersey.

I literally mean... driving AROUND NEW JERSEY.

I started my day in beautiful Edison, New Jersey. I then drove to the lovely gangland of Trenton, New Jersey for an early morning meeting. Once I completed that leg, I was off to Atlantic City, New Jersey for yet... another meeting! That cleared and I was off to Newark, New Jersey for a lovely ceremony and dinner event.

I put over 300 miles on the car and I was feeling a bit punchy in between each of my destinations.

On the trip from Trenton to Atlantic City, I decided to travel down Route 539 -- a hidden short cut to Atlantic City that essentially cuts across the entire state. For the 40 mile stretch, there is VERY LITTLE contact with the real world and only 4 traffic lights the entire trip.

Much of the trip is also through the Pinelands. If I am not mistaken, the famous Sopranos episode where they drop the dead body off in the Pinelands was filmed just off this road.

Anyway... I am driving along and I see a commercial jet flying a good 600 to 700 feet above my head. it freaked me out a bit, but I see this stuff every once in awhile.

However... I saw it again about 6 minutes later and then again 4 minutes later. I pulled off the side of the road and grabbed my camera to take its picture.



The picture doesn't do it justice... Click on it and enlarge it. You will get a much better idea of how close it was. You could hear the engines roaring... that's how freaky it was.

As an avid fan of the X-Files when it was on, I started thinking some weird stuff. I even turned on the news to hear if any possible airport or anything would have caused a plane to be "floating" above our heads.

No terrorism... no airports of a size that could handle a plane of that size in the area... I just couldn't figure it out.

Guess what? I have had you read all of this and I STILL don't know what it was about. Now you don't either...

I was just "plane" freaked out. Oh well.

3 comments:

steakbellie said...

Strangely, I know the answer to this because I used to live in Absecon.

There are actually several LARGE airports there, just not all public.

Atlantic City International
Department of Defense (home of the Jersey Devils Fighter Squad!)
AND the NTSB testing center(this is the answer)

Passenger Planes's are periodically brought into Pomona for testing, they do all kinds of crazy stuff...I had the same reaction you did when I saw a FEDEX Jet make 6 'touch and go' landings in a row....nothing to worry about...

Smelmooo said...

Phew... I really couldn't get my camera out of my bag in time.

Kind of freaked me out.

I wasn't anywhere near ACI... but I figured that there had to be some other military airport or something.

Thanks Steaky

ArtieLange said...

But the Saprano's episode was filmed in upstate NY. Sadly, if you watch it again there are mountains in the background, an unheard of topigraphical feature in South Jersey.