Tuesday, December 19, 2006

New Trend in Commercials -- STOP IT!

Ok... so there I am.. watching television when one of these new trends in commercials appears before me in my screen.

Companies are beginning to take pre-established and recognized material and have the "character" break the fourth wall and talk to the audience.

It was cute in the beginning and now... it is just getting too crazy.

It started off innocently enough for Direct Tv or something when Peyton Manning was calling a play at the line and then spoke to the audience about Direct TV. Got ya... It was neat and innovative and I smiled each time I saw it...

Then... it got crazier...with more examples of this stealing of originality.

Just last weekend during the football game, I was treated to the destruction of A Christmas Story -- the famous scene where Ralphie asks for a gun from Santa while hanging on to the ramp.

Then... I saw Office Space destroyed for a stupid video game commercial...

Then... perhaps the MOST egregious example of all!!!!!! They wrecked the sexy Daisy Duke (Jessica Simpson) scene where she kicks some guy's ass to have her shill for a product.

Blech...

Please stop... it was bad enough ten years ago when you figured out how to have Fred Astaire dance with a vacuum cleaner... Now this needs to stop as well.

No comments: