Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Valet Parking ... Evil?

The holiday season has meant that there has been a great deal of interesting trips and parties to go to. I have had a series of meetings and trips to the city where I have had to park my car in garages.

I hate doing this. I really do.

I don't care so much that I have to park it in a garage persay, but I hate the idea that someone else has access to my car.

I feel somewhat on the vulnerable side when I hand the keys over to the valet. I think it goes back to an old 20/20 episode I saw years before I really attended something like this.

The 20/20 crew went to a party and showed just how vulnerable you are... it is more than the car... There is probably some sort of paper in your car with the address on it... AND... most people give their entire set of keys to the valet. At that point... they now have access to your house... So the 20/20 crew went to the people's house and took pictures to the unsuspecting participants...

That freaked me out then and it still freaks me out today...

That's why I hate valetting a car or parking in a garage. I think muh wife wonders about me sometimes... since I seem to do whatever I can to avoid valet parking...

4 comments:

steakbellie said...

One of my many jobs in High School was Valet parking. I guess I should write a post about what really happened to peoples cars when they went in for dinner....

i hate getting my car parked too, but i have a crappy car so i'm not that worried

Smelmooo said...

Funny thing is... I don't even care about what happens behind the scenes so much to the car itself as much as I do the access to my life that you guys used to and do have!

m said...

while i prefer mass transit, with the hours i keep i often need to drive into NYC. i park in a garage in the east village frequently, and i am very careful to remove EVERYTHING identifiable from that car that i can. (especially once one of the guys who worked there kept paying "special attention" to me.) but i always forget the deal with the keys.

funny story - one year, at the beginning of the fall semester, a local university (which i was attending) was having such an issue with parking that they hired a company to do valet parking so their students could get to class. well, the company LEFT THE KEYS IN THE CARS, and people were STEALING the cars right out from under the valet company's nose.

seth said...

My car actually has a "valet key" that only opens the door and starts the car...it will not open the trunk or the glovebox. I keep it on a seperate keyring right in the glovebox (now don't try to steal my car!) but when I do have to valet, I simply give him that key instead of my entire keyring.