Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Book 27 of 52 -- A.M. Homes' The Mistress' Daughter



I'm a long-time fan of Homes' work, and, in my opinion, The Mistress's Daughter maintains the same intensity and urgency as her fiction. Though the second half of the memoir has been criticized (Homes takes some risks by breaking the flow of her narrative), I enjoyed these latter chapters. Admittedly, I got a little lost in the section that traces her online genealogy research, but, ultimately, I think Homes is to be commended for her fearless honesty. As in her fiction, Homes' spare style cuts to the bone.

As someone who is not adopted, I had some trouble completely understanding everything she referenced, but I am sure that she is striking the chords of how many adoptees feel when they confront their pasts and the lack of history.

It is a good book and a rather quick read as well.

No comments: