Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Buying a Plane Ticket -- Absurdity

I found out that I had to go to San Francisco in relatively short notice. I was scheduled to be there for two full days of meetings (Friday and Saturday). Translation -- Fly out Thursday and return on Sunday.

I pulled up a bunch of flights and found the following situations.

1. Flying out on Thursday was not going to be a problem at all. I pretty much could choose from a variety of flights.

2. Flying back on Sunday was going to be an issue. The airlines only had a pair of flights that flew out at around 10:00 pm. They were both "Red Eyes" and had a lay over in Detroit which were about 2 hours long. Both... give or take... would have put me back in New Jersey about 10-11 or in the morning. Ick.These tickets were also about $1100. Not a terrible issue since it was a last minute decision.

3. For S&G's I checked out an early flight on Monday morning. I could fly out at 7:00 am and arrive in Jersey at 3:00 pm. There would not be any layover. Perfect. It was also only $400.

Soooo..... I get in about 4 hours later than I would have... I have a direct flight... I have NO RED EYE...and... it is $700 cheaper?

What the F?

Best part about the whole thing is that on Sunday... I am going to go see the Oakland Raiders play at home... something that I have wanted to do since I became a fan in 1981. I know they suck...but it is a possible once in a lifetime opportunity. They are playing the Browns... one of the few teams they have a shot at beating this year.

Go Raiders!

1 comment:

mickeyg said...

Oh, I'm so jelous. I would love to be in SF right now. If you want any food recs let me know!