Friday, November 17, 2006

69 -- Scarring Me For Life

I recently went to a Giants game at the Meadowlands... and I was reminded of just how frigging funny the number "69" is and how I learned about the meaning of the word.

At the game, the referee kept announcing that "69 has checked in as an eligible receiver" and that cracked the audience up. They cheered for that every time the referee made the announcement. Even I giggled at the audience's sheer excitement.

When I was about 10 or 11, I was sent to basketball camp and as a means of identification, we were all given a number.

You may have already guessed it, but I was number 69. For two days, I played basketball and had no idea what the damn number meant and for two days, there were kids giggling every time my number was announced.

I wasn't as big of a dork as I am I now as I was back then so I couldn't figure out what it was that I actually did... so I went home and asked my mother what the number meant.

I don't remember the converstation with her very well, but I don't think I got the answer I was desperately seeking because I ended up asking one of the giggling kids who explained it all to me...

You couldn't imagine the relief I felt when I learned what it was... they weren't laughing at me.. they were laughing at the number itself... what a relief!

Not too much longer after that, I experienced one of the greatest movies of all time Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and it featured one of the best lines in American movies today...

Ted: OK wait. If you guys are really us, what number are we thinking of?
Bill, Ted: 69, dudes.
Bill, Ted: Whoa.

It's funny how much that line permeates my vernacular... and muh wifes... If I said the first line, I guarantee that muh wife would say 69... Truly funny.

The number is a funny number and if for some reason you have access to a computer and read this blog and still don't know what 69 means... I have one suggestion for you... Go ask your mother.

3 comments:

Smelmooo said...

anyone but you can.

Kelli said...

Hahahahaahhahahah.....I laughed through the whole thing, especially when you asked your MOTHER.....

seth said...

While at the same game, after the ref's announcement we commented that "69 is always an option, isn't it?"

I guess we're 5 years old too