Friday, April 27, 2007

Book 22 of 52 -- Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire



So... my good friend Gina told me a long time ago that I shouldn't see Wicked -- the musical -- until I read the book.

It took me a couple years, but I have finally read the book.

The concept of the book is fabulous. Simply fabulous. It focuses on the life of the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz story. She was a crazy green lady and the book shows that she was crazy ass in her developing years as well.

Wicked took me two weeks to read. I had to read each line twice since it was such a complex book to read.

When the book was over, I was confused... I didn't know what was going on... and thankfully... I had read the original Wizard of Oz first... to better understand the ending.

The first Wizard of Oz was not a children's book. It was a political statement book about the Populist movement of the time.

Wicked is not a children's book. It is a political statement of the 1990's.

I think it is at least........

No comments: