Monday, April 02, 2007

New Jersey Transit Hired An Assh0le

I recently went on a trip to Trenton to deal with one of the state's larger bureaucratic nightmare departments. Instead of driving, I decided that I would take the train since the offices were within walking distance of the train station and we live near one of the other stops.

Meeting over, and I got on the train home, which was pretty empty.

I stretched out, put my ticket in the seat above me and went over the written materials I had prepared for my meeting. Before the first stop, the conductor stopped to take the ticket of a black gentleman one row in front of me and across the aisle.

It took me about five seconds to figure out that the gentleman was mentally retarded -- functional. I might even say that we was autistic. The point though is not to focus on his being retarded, but what was to happen later in the trip.

The gentleman bought his ticket and was given his strip, which he held and moved around. It was obviously something that he needed to do because of his condition. Fine... he wasn't hurting or bothering anyone on the train...

Fast forward to the stop right before mine. A different conductor made his way down the aisle and approached the man. He immediately laid into the guy, asking him where his ticket was and where he was going.

The retarded man became visibly upset and was not comfortable with the newfound confrontations. The conductor continued to berate and push until everyone on the train was uncomfortable and until the retarded man was so uncomfortable that he began to raise his voice and curse.

The conductor then called security to kick the man off the train.

I can honestly say, that no one felt comfortable at all. That was also when the original conductor made his way into the car just as I and two others were on our way off. We all handed the new conductors our business cards in defense of the retarded man. We are ready to testify on his behalf against this completely beligerent assh0le.

I can only hope that the man was treated respectfully after we left and that all is good. I hope he feels comfortable to go on a NJ Transit train again.

1 comment:

steakbellie said...

Thanks for the kind words, but i was hoping you would do something more for me than just give out your business card. That guy was a real prick and didnt understand.