Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Falling In Love at a Din Din Party

Muh wife and I recently wnet out to a very nice dinner party in the city.

(The restaurant was the Casablanca Tea Room -- fabulous Morroccan food! Thank you Dave and Minnams!!)

I only knew the hosts and partially knew one other person so I was ready to get thrown into an extremely boring night of trying to be play the fine line of being charming for people that muh wife works for but not going over the top like I do with many of my friends..

We arrived 10 minutes late -- freaking Holland Tunnel sucks balls... it really does -- but about 20 minutes before most people -- freaking city dwellers have no concept on how NOT to be rude and late.

When I go to these things, I go in with the least expectations possible so that I am more likely to come out happy in the end.

We had a couple drinks and sat down for dinner when I was introduced to one of my wife's co-workers who is relatively new and I have not met.

She was lovely. Simpley lovely and I had no problem talking to her for a few minutes.

She is from India and has an exotic look about her that was different than the normal blonde and brunette skinny fests that society normally pushes down our throats in movies and television.

I told my wife in the first minute or so that the new girl was pretty cool and was absoltuely lovely.

She responded with... "I knew you would think so. Everyone at work is in love with her... especially 'So and So.'"

The revelation of So and So suprised me... and then... I felt just like everyone else... making my thoughts about the new woman... silly and trite.

My wife knows me so well that she knew a quick comment like that would diffuse my immediate reaction to the new person.

She loves me most afterall...and I love her too... but new people are still fun to meet!

It only took me 30 minutes to get bored by the new chick's conversation and I moved on to someone else at the table... who was funny as well...

Lessons learned? Muh wife rocks.

Post Script -- Muh wife told me that I was a huge hit at dinner with all the new people and I wonder how many of them are writing blogs right now about how jealous they are of Tangentwoman for having such an awesome husband who is so sweet, funny, and charming.

No comments: