Thursday, November 04, 2004

I HAVE A DISEASE!!! Or so I have been told...

I think I am suffering from some sort of disease and it has me very concerned.

Today... I might be suffering from bi-polar depression. I meet some of the symptoms and now I might qualify for free tests that a research facility is performing in the Princeton area. All of this because I am a little sad about the events of the week. With muh marriage early last month and then the sharp fall of the Yankees losing... it has been a roller coaster of a month.

Last week was a whole other issue. I had myself convinced that I was suffering from female urinary incontinence. You can find more information at http://www.afud.org/conditions/ui.asp

I am not female and no, I don't leak when I laugh or sneeze, but I was convinced. It is primarilly due to the soothing tone of the person reading the copy on the ad. They put me at ease, hypnotize me, and make me feel....sick.

These are the same ads that had me believing that although I have never taken a mind altering drug in my life, I was suffering from some sort of drug problem. You would help a friend if he was in trouble... wouldn't you?

I say all of this because I am starting to believe that advertising is beginning to get pretty specific. I have heard that ad looking for women who pee themselves everytime they sneeze or laugh no less than 10 times since returning from muh honeymoon and my commute to work is 5 minutes maximum! When did this start to happen?

I first noticed the medical study advertisements in 1997 and I found that they were pretty much limited to those with borderline mental conditions like bi-polar whatever or depressive that. They were on sporadically and didn't mean much.

Then the drug companies started to advertise. I began to develop serious side effects (mentally only) to the allergy medicine that I was on. I would believe that I would get momumental nose bleeds much like the one when I had surgery back in 1993. The ads were good. I still don't know what the "purple Pill" does, but I am pretty sure that I need it.

Now... I am hearing ads for studies for leaking women and for men who can't find their keys. Translation -- Urinary incontinence and memory loss of men over 65. I am neither a woman nor am I a man over 65, but I almost called.

The ads are that good, soothing and interesting........ I think I want to call just so I can find out where the studies are being held so I can meet some of these people with the problems. My travel time will even be paid for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'97 is when the FDA changed the policies related to advertising prescription drugs on TV. Before that, you could advertise prescription drugs by name, but only if you included ALL of the side effects that you see in the magazine ads -- yeah, the full page -- and the drug companies thought it wasn't so much worth buying ad time if 50% of it would be devoted to stuff along the lines of "some patients taking XY drug may experience excessive growth of body hair and/or death"). OR, you could talk about a drug in the abstract but not name it -- you could give out a phone number or a web site, but not name the actual drug in the ad (hence the "purple pill" thing).

So anyway, yeah, anyway, the drug studies: on my way home from work yesterday I heard an ad for one and if you answered "yes" to any of a litany of questions (including "do you crave chocolate?") you may have some kind of depressive disorder, so I guess I need to sign up, too.

Signed,
Your incredibly nerdy wife