Monday, November 15, 2004

What "Special" Month Is This?

One of the perks of belonging to the YMCA in our town is that we get educated on things that you wouldn't normally research or hear about.

For example, I am now an expert on labor and wage rates throughout the United States. I know that the minimum wage is 5.15 dollars federally. It says so... right there on one of the many bulletin boards.

I am also an expert now on different ways of stretching my back muscles. Who knew there were over 28 different exercises to do that?!?!

But... I am most amazed by the bulletin board in the stairwell between the second and third floor. On this bulletin board, the YMCA edumacates us on a new topic each month. It reflects whatever "special" month it is that month. The board contains about 10 pages of information and is informative if you take the time to review it. I generally look at a page or two evry so often as a way to get myself pumped up for the upcoming cardio work out.

I glance eagerly each month to see what the topic would be. September was National Head Lice Awareness month. That seems appropriate... it IS the first month and week of school. You need to be aware if your child's head has become a breeding ground for the little buggers. October was Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is also appropriate as I always think that I see the most breast cancer fund raising during this month.

Now...I ask you this. How... appropriate is it that November is American Diabetes Month? Diabetes is a serious disease but isn't it funny that they are making us aware of this horrible disease the DAY after the holiday that helps cause it -- Halloween? Adults and kids alike are busy chowing down on piles and piles and piles of candy.

Oh well... December is around the corner... I can't wait to see what that month entails.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is a more comprehensive list of all the things to celebrate. December looks pretty slow, save my favorite: Handwashing awareness week!! Woohoo!!

http://www.healthfinder.gov/library/nho/nhoyear.asp?year=2005

-- YH