Thursday, July 21, 2005

Muh Trip to Washington DC...


For work the other day, I had to attend a set of meetings for one of the national associations that I work with regularly. The meeting content wasn't anything tremendously enlightening, but I appreciated all the people I mingled with.

The first meeting was at 10 am and instead of going down the night before and staying over, I decided to take the train down that morning and take it back that night as muh lovely wife does all the time for her job (god bless her...).

So many things interested me about this trip:

1. I was scheduled to take a 5:53 am train that was supposed to arrive at 8:45 am. With cab ride and everything... I was planning to arrive around 9:30. Because I am usually early for everything and over plan some things... I had my wife drop me off at the station at 5:20 so that I could get my ticket, a bite to eat and relax. Upon arriving, everything was closed up. I couldn't get to the ticket kiosk, Dunkin Donuts or air conditioning. Eventually, everything opened up. What I was most amazed about was that at 5:30, you could shoot a cannon through the building and not hit anyone, but at 5:35, the place was full of people. It was as though they all appeared out of the air. Weird!

2. When I got in my cab in Washington DC, I was treated to a preacher type radio station playing really loud in the cab. I don't mind the religious radio station or anything (a future blog is in the works about my polarizing opinions on religion). I didn't even care that it was too loud. That just meant that I didn't have to talk to him... as the only cab drivers I ever want to talk to are from Las Vegas... I was most interested in his language. He was an anxious driver and guided his fellow "brothers" around by telling them to do this ..or to watch out for that... but before he did this and every single time we would hit a bit of traffic...he would say.. "SHIT!" really loudly. Just seemed wrong.

3. My first name is a common name (Hard to believe that SMELMOOO is common... but nationally..it must be...), and I was in a meeting with approximately 65 people in it. They were discussing the efforts of a major person in the industry and he also has the name Smelmooo so I was aroused from my mid day nap every single time they would refer to the accomplishments of this other Smelmooo. Blech.

4. They used the word "compaction" all the time. Muh wife dislikes the word as it is not a real word, but it is a word used by EVERYONE in the industry I work in.

5. 6 hours total on a train = 1/2 of the new Harry Potter book finished.

No comments: