Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Tribute To Muh Wife On An Anniversary of Sorts


Today marks the second anniversary of the day that muh wife and I took a planned hike up the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware Water Gap.

The morning began earlier than she wanted as she had been to a bachelorette party the night before. Tired and surprisingly full of energy, Tangent Woman and I set off to the largest crack in the state.

It was a gorgeous day and we sang and talked and bickered and made up and sang and talked some more. At 10 in the morning, we joined five other car loads and purchased some snacks a.k.a. hot dogs at Hot Dog Johnny's in Buttzville, NJ -- only 8 miles from our destination.

30 minutes later we left the Visitor's Center and found our way over to the Pennsylvania side of the Gap and found the 2.3 mile trail we were looking for. (A shorter than normal hike, but a good one for what I had planned.) Getting out of the car, we prepared for the hike. Muh wife collected her bag with water bottles and change of shirts while I quickly shoved this little square box into my front pocket.

We hiked and hiked and continued to move upward to the top of the hill. We took pictures and posed and enjoyed the scenery. Eventually, we came across a small waterfall and I feigned needing a break. My hand double checked that the hard box was still in my pocket for the 75th time and I encouraged her to sit by the little waterfall.

We chatted some more and then I leaned over her and asked her to be muh wife. She said yes to that question two years ago.

Two funny things happened after that.

1. Tangent Woman was a hysterical mess I am proud to say. She was crying and we were hugging and hunched over off the beaten path by the tiny tiny waterfall. A pair of women walked by. If I saw us I would have figued that something was up but I would have moved along minding my own business. We eventually caught up to them a bit farther up the path. We asked them to take our picture because "we just got engaged!" The older of the two women let a large sigh and said, "Oh thank god! We thought you were hitting her or something because she was crying so much." We laughed it off and got our picture taken. (Side note... if I actually thought that... I would have called the police or stepped in... people are nuts.)

2. We got so caught up in our conversation about our wedding and who we would invite and have involved that we got lost. Our 2.3 mile hike turned into what we figure... a 10 mile hike with the following conversation. We came across an asphalt road near the top of the mountain with houses. We stopped a gentleman on his riding mower and asked him for directions to the parking lot where we parked. He said... "Oh boy... you are like 5 miles from that. Go down...." After a mosquito filled and ugly walk, we eventually made it back to the car. That type of thing hasn't happened again.

I could never do justice in writing to how happy muh makes me and this blog is just a small representation of how happy she makes me.

Thank you sweetie for saying yes two years ago. It means the rest of them will be incredible too.

2 comments:

tangentwoman said...

Awww...thanks, honey!
I don't actually remember the bickering in the car, but it's altogether possible, I suppose.

But you left out the best part: that we AGAIN stopped at Hot Dog Johnny's on the way back, so it was truly a perfect day :)

mickeyg said...

You guys are too cute. I asked Jack if he thought he would remember the day he proposed, if it wasn't such an easy day to remember. He thinks he would, but I don't know if I would remember it...

g