Monday, March 06, 2006

Book 11 -- 5th Horseman by James Patterson

Book 11 -- James Patterson's 5th Horseman

I decided to read something pretty darn easy for my 11th book. I swear that over the entire 400 pages of James Patterson's latest installment of one of his highly popular series (Alex Cross and this series -- The Women's Murder Club), he didn't use one single compound sentence or anything that was above 12 words long.

His writing is so simplistic and his chapters are so short that he is able to actually build up a lot of suspense in his novels. I am always ready to dismiss his books and I generally do.



He does usually bring me on a journey...often with good results and sometimes with mixed results (i.e. the damned winged bird/kid books he is so fond of.), but this time, I was so into the last 120 pages that I couldn't put the book down. It just took forever to get to that point.

Here is something else about Patterson I don't get... He had FIVE #1 books in 2005. FIVE. Every single one of his books has a co-author on them. I am a firm believer that the man doesn't write anymore... he just sells the books of others.

Next up... and I am already a bit of the way in... is Dan Savage's The Commitment : Love, Sex, Marriage, and My Family.

1 comment:

Smelmooo said...

I just want to add something important here... James Patterson writes for 3rd graders... yet is smart... I seem to enjoy that type of writing way too much.