Thursday, March 16, 2006

Radio DJs -- A Review of Life After Stern

It's been almost 3 months and Howard Stern is gone from the radio. The end result is that there is a boom now in the talk show genre as the two stations that once featured Howard Stern as a morning anchor for rock music have gone all talk all week -- save the weekends. They are 92.3 Free FM and 94.1 Free FM.

I figured I would write a bit about my feelings on the new hosts -- some surprises and some atrocities.

David Lee Roth -- Howard Stern's morning show on the East Coast was taken over by Van Halen's legendary first front man David Lee Roth. I gave him a shot. A real honest to goodness shot and I have to admit that I would rather listen to the Mother Teresa show in 2006... and... she's dead. He is incredibly horrible and should be run out of radio quickly before he destroys the station for the rest of them. Roth's Show is on both stations. He needs to suck a cucumber... and I hate cucumbers...

The Barsky Show -- On 94.1 the mid afternoon shift is done by The Barsky Show. I used to work in South Jersey and I used to listen to him on 95.7 every morning. One day... he was gone and it made me sad. Whenever I am in the area for work, I turn him on as he and his cohorts still make me chortle...

Kidd Chris -- Kidd Chris is obnoxious and entertaining and I would listen to him all the time if I could. He follows up the Barsky Show in the afternoons on 94.1. It is my understanding that Kidd Chris came from the West Coast for this gig in Philadelphia and I am glad to have him hear... (get it?). He talks about taboo things and he always makes me laugh. Warning... he doesn't care what you think and for this... I am grateful.

JV & Elvis Show -- JV and Elvis are on the mid morning/afternoon shift in New York on 92.3. They are also transplants from the West Coast and I love listening to them. I think muh wife will attest to the fact that I often quote them. They have an amazing ability to say something really absurd while that same statement to me provides greater insight into a topic I never would have thought about. They once talked for an hour about animal cruelty and while stepping over the line many times with the discussion, they still condemmed it by listening to incredibly horrible examples from their audience.

The Radio Chick -- Back when Opie and Anthony were around, they used to have the Radio Chick on the same station. She and her cohorts Chuck Nice (from Best Week Ever fame) and Butchie would just sit around and bullshit about stuff going on around the world. I loved listening to them and was bummed when they went to satellite. They are back and making me laugh on my ride home doing the drive time rush hour shift in New York on 92.3. Give them a shot.

So... what is my final analysis?... you may ask.

Simple... all of these radio shows are pretty darn funny except for David Lee Roth... he actually hurts to listen to... and that is never good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always happy when I can get out of work in time for the Radio Chick. Soccer nights are my favorite since I have a much longer drive. In traffic! Yay!

-Shari

seth said...

I wonder how O&A will go back to "free radio" since they are under contract to XM?

Anyway..I'm a Sirius subscriber, not b/c of Stern but his show is funnier than ever. The few times I do flip on free radio I keep thinking of that old saying "You get what you pay for".

Leslie took my IPOD (when I got Sirius) and she says she never listens to the radio now either.