Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Book 14 of 26 – Chris Moore’s The Stupidest Angel V. 2.0

Book 14 of 26 – Chris Moore’s The Stupidest Angel

I consider myself a pretty funny person. I may not be able to do it well in writing, but I can often command a room when it comes to being funny. My humor is mostly responsive to the actions of others – think… nice a nice Don Rickles.

Chris Moore is perhaps the funniest writer out there. He is often compared to Vonnegut (spelling) and other major satirists. I was introduced to Chris Moore by a friend of mine a couple of year’s ago and started to read his stuff.

I immediately fell in love.

Some of his works include:

The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove – The title alone deserves awards, but the book shows what would happen if an entire town were to be taken off of its anti-depressants. Moore creates a monster to represent the removed crutch.

LAMB, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal – In this novel Moore recreates the missing years of Christ’s life (ages 1-33). Essentially, they travel around the world and Biff does all the bad stuff so that Christ can understand it. Although the things that Biff does in the name of Christ are sometimes crude, this book is actually extremely sweet and sentimental. It treats religion in an enlightening way and even though you know how it is going to end, Moore brings you to an exciting and moving end. This is the kind of book that could create controversy in the religions community yet didn’t as Moore is able to create a moving tribute to religion as a whole…and make me laugh my f*cking ass off.

The Stupidest Angel is a Christmas book. It is perhaps Moore’s worst book, and I have read it four times because I have loved it each time I have read it. Moore very rarely has re-occuring characters yet in this book, he brings many of his main characters and has them deal with the antics of a not so bright angel. I want to say more about the book but I shall refrain for now. The book has won The Quill Awards and was his most commercially successful book. So popular, that the actually put out a second version (2.0) with an additional 30 pages of creamy goodness.

I recommend getting caught up in the world that is Chris Moore. You won’t be sorry. Just don’t read The Stupidest Angel first… the characters that he used are in the other books… check them out first…you’ll piss your pants.

1 comment:

KARCHAMB said...

I love love love love love LAMB and wish I had read Stupidest Angel first because, reading it afterward, it was a huge disappointment. I might pick it up again, now that I'm more removed from Lamb and can probably enjoy it a little more.