Friday, June 09, 2006

10 Year Anniversary

I was at Rutgers the other day for a work event. I went with a co-worker who I don't share much of personal life with, and we were driving around one of the campusses when she asked me, "Smelmooo, didn't you go to Rutgers?"

I replied, "I did... how come?"

She asked, "When did you graduate, and what is that building over there?"

I was surprised at her new inquisitve side, and I was proud to essentially give her a tour of the campus where I had primarilly spent four years of muh life.

Half way through the trip, I remembered something. I started working about 10 years ago. Tomorrow marks the 10th anniversary of that date and I amazed at just how different of a person I am from that hot June day when I stepped into my first job -- a hell job, but a job that helped define me. Only a few of my readers and especially SZG & MB know exactly where it was that I started and how horrible of a place it could have been.

Getting back to how different I am -- I am not talking about having a wife, dog and a mortgage, but more in terms of personality. I was a bit more optimistic about society and life in general for ignorant reasons. Now, I have a bit more realistic point of view but I am optimistic because of a super wife, dog, and place to live.

I also like my job. I find it frustrating at times, and I get annoyed at certain elements of it, but for the most part, I like my job. I don't dread waking up and going to work. I might dread certain meetings I have to attend, but the job itself? Nope.

I hope that doesn't change as long as I have to work. I would love to win the lottery and never have to work again, but then again... beggars can't be chosers.

So 10 years man... that's a lot... but hey... I got about 30 or more to go?

1 comment:

tangentwoman said...

Probably a few more than that, unless we do hit the Lottery, love.

To make it all about me, 10 years ago was the summer I worked at the bank, where I was undoubtedly the world's worst teller. I'm so, so glad it's behind me; you're right, those early days do help to put work life in perspective.