Thursday, October 12, 2006

Book 46 of 26 -- Wish You Well by David Baldacci


David Baldacci writes thrillers.

I love his political thrillers... I really do.

He has written a bunch and I know that he has a few more to go... but Wish You Well is such a departure from his political thrillers that it took me awhile to get into it.

This is a story about a pair of kids growing up suddenly without their parents. They have been raised in the city and are forced to live with their grandmother in the mountains of Virginia -- in a town where asphalt roads are a rare commodity.

It isn't a terrible book at all, but I feel empty for some reason.

The main reason I finished it was all the tremendous reviews it received. (This is probably Baldacci's most critically acclaimed novel.)

It's a neat view of the deep south and many of the prejudices and assumptions were evident, but they are nothing new to me.

I have heard of all the "terrible" things in the book and I just glossed over them since they weren't nearly that shocking.

Oh well... it is a nice book with a very happy ending after an extremely tragic beginning.

Give it a try if you wish.

Next up... Jim McGreevey's tell all book....

No comments: