Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Travelling to San Francisco -- A Challenge

What an interesting and challenging trip to San Francisco I had....

This is really a story about how important the small stuff is.. espcially when you are 3000 miles from your bed. There are bigger problems in the world... but here were mine in a short time period.

My trip began with a wonderful ride from muh wife and dog to the airport. I really can't figure out why, but I believe that Tucker has a sense of when one of us is leaving him for an extended period of time. He puts his ears back and mopes around the house. It's cute and sad.

Security was laxed a couple of days before so at least I was able to buy a drink once I cleared security. The check in and security themselves were lengthy processes.

At security, my boarding pass and identification were checked and I began to walk to one of the longer individual lines when I heard... "Free beer and sex.... Free beer and sex...." Of course I turned to look at what that was. It was a security guard (TSA agent) trying to get my attention to a newly opened line. I went through in seconds, but was incredibly disappointed on the other side to not find either... free beer... or sex...

While I was waiting for the plane, I did some people watching. There was a 400 or so pound man sitting a few rows away. I ... for some reason... got nervous that he was going to be sitting next to me on the plane. When we eventually made it onto the plane, I watched as rows were called and boarded. The large man continued to wait until my set of rows was called. He was now right in front of me on the line boarding the plane. 15 minutes later, I was jumping for joy when instead of my row, he fell into a seat in the row next to me. Phew...I worried too much for that one...

The plane we were leaving on was 30 minutes late arriving and we left Newark an hour late. Funny how things work because we arrived in San Francisco only 30 minutes late. I don't get airline math.

The plane ride was good enough, but X-Men 3 was on. For those of you that have not seen it, let me just say that it was somewhat disheartening because the bad guy destroys the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz...that's all I needed to see on my flight to San Francisco.

Once I got to the airport, I waited a good 30 minutes for my luggage. It was mostly sad because I watched even the people that I had grown to severly dislike get their bags way before me. That is always something I cherish when my bags come out earlier than the idiots I have grown to be disgusted by in a short period of time -- legitimately or not. It's sort of a revenge thing.

So there I am... finally at the hotel with a very quick check in since I was the only one arriving at 12:15 am. (3:15 am in the east) I get to the room and there was the bane of my existence in hotels... down pillows. I am allergic to down so I called the front desk and an hour later, I had my foam pillows.

1:15 am is when I fell asleep. It was almost a full 24 hours of being awake. Thank goodness the bed was heaven.

That's it... a fun trek to San Francisco.

No comments: