Monday, October 08, 2007

Book 50 of 52 -- Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns


I think that I am supposed to like this book.

I am a white liberal and I am supposed to read and care about all things oppressive in other countries.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is the follow up to the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, and it is also about Afghanistan.

I can't tell you why I was disappointed with this book, but I was extremely disappointed.

It made an overbearing effort to make me feel bad for all of the characters... but not angry at the bad guys.

So... I did a search on google and came up with this paragraph written by a book reviewer and it is pretty accurate with how I feel.

"When I was actively reading it, the pages kept turning, and more than once I found myself foregoing food or sleep temporarily to get in just one more chapter. When I had put it down, however, I felt no particular compulsion to pick it back up again. It's a good book, and a relatively well-written one, but it's not a great book. Enjoyable without leaving a lasting impression." Robert P. Beveridge's review

I am pretty sure that there a few of you that are my friends that will love this book, especially if you liked the first one... but I can't... in good conscience recommend this book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just now reading The Kite Runner...very moving, disturbing, thought-provoking, and sad (so far). I find myself getting angry at points. Even thought you're not recommending Hosseini's next book, I think I may give it a go anyway. We'll see...
~Megan B.

Anonymous said...

I liked the first 2/3 of Kite Runner. The last bit was a little much. In fact, enough that I really don't even have an interest in "A Thousand Splendid Suns."

I feel like I've been there, read that.

Smelmooo said...

PERFECTLY SAID SZG