Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Cult Movies That Are Stupid or Possibly Good

Ok... the beautiful thing about Netflix is that I am getting caught up on a lot of movies that I somehow missed growing up. I have seen more movies than anyone I know, but a lot of the oldies and "goodies" have somehow slipped through the cracks.

This column will piss some of you off.

I had never seen ANY of the Pink Panther movies when I was younger. I was much more into the James Bond flicks as it is the greatest franchise of all time. I have watched ALL of the Pink Panther movies over the past few months and I have to admit that they are hilarious movies. I will even go on record as saying that the first two Pink Panthers (The Pink Panther and A Shot in the Dark) are nowhere near as funny as Return of the Pink Panther, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, and Revenge of the Pink Panther. These are some very funny movies.

I also decided to watch Smokey and the Bandit I and II. Hilarious. Anything with Jackie Gleason as a fat racist hick sheriff has got to be funny. Cannonball Run wasn't as funny but it was still a good movie and I enjoyed all three of these movies for what they were. I also was glad that I picked up Young Frankenstein. I was laughing out loud to that movie as well.

Now... here are the ones that just suck.

The Blues Brothers -- How the hell did this become such a beloved cult favorite? this 2.5 hour movie was a waste of my time. John Belushi may have been funny in other movies but he was a complete and total wanker in this. All they really did was try to make funny one liners and then dance like idiots behind famous people singing. It might have been more interesting if they at least learned a few new moves behind each of the singers. Dammit... I will never get those minutes back again.

Caddyshack -- Yeup... what is so funny about this movie? Very little if you ask me. I can appreciate Bill Murray in this movie, but everything else gave me a headache -- especially Ted Knight. I say this with one very important thought to keep in mind. I hear my friends quoting this movie all the time and I laugh with them whenever they say something funny that comes from this movie. Having never seen it, I didn't really understand the conext but I liked the lines my friends were using. Now... after having seen how these lines just weren't really that funny in the context of this movie, I want to never laugh at them again. It reminds me of Dana Carvey's impression of George Bush. People were laughing more at Dana's character that he had created and not the President... when I say... "not gonna do it," I am actually enjoying Dana Carvey's impression and not the originator of the goofy smile and speech pattern. Caddyshack is similar.

I will find other cult movies soon to bash... and ones to love... I currently have Stir Crazy on the queue...

No comments: