Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Wrestlemania 2005

One of my secret guilty pleasures is watchign wrestling. Although the overall quality of the program has been on a steady decline in recent years, I still faithfully watch the shows for those moments that make me go... HOLY SMOLY!!!

Each year in late March or early April, the World Wrestling Entertainment group puts on its annual showcase and monster show called Wrestlemania. This year was the 21st annual installment of the production and what a production it was!

I travelled over an hour to watch the show with my good buddy Chris and his good buddies. We had a blast watching the top guys showcasing their talents and risking life and limb to create those HOLY SMOLY moments.

The show included some memorable highlights.

1. Hulk Hogan came out to the hugest pop I have ever heard. It was in response to a character that was beating the heck out of another popular character. Hulk saved the day and all of us in the room jumped up and were cheering him on. It was a great moment and even though I know the whole thing is staged, I still marked out and got caught up in the moment!

2. Two of the most boring characters on the planet became heavyweight champions of their respective brands. They are .. on paper... supposed to be interesting, but how can I really care what happens to a humungous character that speaks 10 words a week or a white guy who raps horribly and follows a simple guideline of Ruck Fules. Uh... great...

3. One of the guys (He will remain nameless to protect his integrity.) had a very gay moment. We were watching Hulk come out and he is kicking some butt when the guy on the couch yells, "Rip your shirt off!" For those of you not in the know... Hulk used to tear his shirt off when he was powering up or just showing off before a match. It was a great moment... but the nameless guy still heard his gay comment all night long.

4. Pizza rocks... How could I eat so much of that and NOT wake up with a sore tummy?

5. Four Hour Show and most of it rocked.

Highlight -- Hulk Hogan coming out and the six man ladder match.
Lowlight -- Cena's entire match and the woman's title match. Boring.

I will go put on my geek hat now... :)

No comments: