Monday, April 04, 2005

Moratorium Monday


As an avid viewer of quality television, I feel there is a need to put an end to the show ER.

This is in the same thought process as the website Jump The Shark.

I continue to watch the show every single week and and every single week, I am disappointed at the half ass story telling and characters without any depth.

Although this year, they are making a better attempt to show the more human side of these robots, I still don't feel any pity for any of them when things happen to them.

For examples:

1. Pratt is almost killed and his friend dies in a car accident in the beginning of the season. Did he change one bit? right... .no.

2. Kovach continues to try to find love with messed up women.

3. Carter has lost all my respect when he let the hottie from Twin Peaks go... I will comfort you Madchen Amick... oh yes... I will.

4. Neela is perhaps the most boring character ever. What does she do but talk in monotone and have entire episodes dedicated just to her.

5. Sherry STringfield's charater hasn't developed a bit in the past three years. We used to hate her... now.. she is so boring..you can't hate OR love her. That isn't good.

6. Abbey is my favorite character and maura Tierney is in my top five crush list but her charater is so one dimensional that maybe I can't justify watching her character anymore.

7. Why did they have to kill off the most dynamic cast member last year.... and drop a helicopter on him to boot?

However, I will give ER credit where it is due. Its production value is top notch and you can tell that no expense is spared with the show. It is a well made show that has a fantastic exterior but when you crack it open, it is empty and hollow.

I am asking that NBC put ER out of its misery soon. They can work to developing new shows like The Office that are bold and daring...and let shows that are just placeholders like ER go up to surgery or the morgue.

3 comments:

mickeyg said...

Spoiler Slut that I am, here's the scoop.

NBC has renewed ER for the next 3 years (they are in the first year of a two year contract, and NBC just finished negotiating through 2007-2008 season.)

Twin Peaks chick is going to revise her role on the next episode.

Noah Wyle is leaving, sort of. He'll be in 4 episodes each season for the next two years.

Danny Glover is joining the cast as Pratt's father for at least one episode this year and three next year.

I'm still digging the show, although I agree killing of Fame guy was a bummer, and the character development is a bit lacking this year, but I don't think it's quite jumped the shark yet. I would like to see more of Abby and more of Sherry Stringfield's character.

G

Anonymous said...

I agree that it's not nearly as good as it used to be -- Doug Ross! Carol Hathaway! Dr. Romano! Nurse Jeannie and Anspaugh's dying kid! Peter Benton! -- but I sort of disagree about Pratt not changing and Neela being boring (particularly in the last episode with my beloved Gallant).

My frustration with the last couple of seasons has more to do with stupid Shane West and that godawful guy who played Bailey's buddy on Party of Five...they are the ones I find to be flat and a waste of time, and they detract from the time spent with other characters that I might actually care about.

I will still probably continue to watch, even though I often say "that just SUCKED" after it ends, and I can't believe I stayed up that late for something so lame.

-- yh

Smelmooo said...

As much as I love muh wife...

I have to say that I love Shane West's character.... how could I have forgotten to mention him... he is what makes me keep watching... oh yeah... that stupid red headed Scott Grimes too... I must keep watching!

Just kidding... perhaps I should write about the acting school that Shane West attended... that one liner usually gets me some laughs when I am out in public.