Thursday, April 07, 2005

How Easy Is It To Ruin Someone's Day?!?!?!?!

So... how easy is it to just plain ruin a person's day?

Apparently... it is pretty simple.

I was at the gym this morning working out on a leg press. I was listening to my walkman and I was doing most of the "lifts" with my eyes closed. This ensures that I am totally set off from the rest of the working out public and in my own little world.

(There are many that will argue that I am in my own little world quite a bit, but this is a whole new level of peace and concentration that I enjoy on many mornings. It clears my head and I can focus on the day at hand.)

With Marvelous 3 serenading my eardrums and spirit, the back of my head was suddenly attacked by a gust of freezing air. Not a small gust, but a very strong gust. My body physically reacted and I turned to see that a woman had turned on the air conditioner. The vents were aimed directly at the back of my head.

By the time I had figured out what had happened, the woman had left the area and was speaking to the gentleman that had apparently asked her to do it for him. I was taken aback and felt violated for two reasons:

1. I don't mind bending a few silly rules, but it clearly states on every single air conditioner in the room to ask an attendant. I think it is for this very reason that it states it. That machine blows directly onto TWO machines.

2. What followed next.

I stood up and turned the air conditioner off after informing the guy that it was blowing right on me and it was uncomfortable. He gave me an attitude and told me how hot it was in the place. I told him that it was not desirable to me to have it blowing on the back of my head while I was working out and that I would turn it back on when I was done with the machines. He seemed placated.

After I finished the machines, I decided not to turn it back on as I read the rules more in depth. He was not pleased to hear my lack of desire to turn it back on and spoke disparragingly of me. I informed him that if he really wanted it turned on, I would suggest that he hit the PAUSE button on his Life Cycle machine and do it himself.

He didn't like it.

What the heck people? Have some courtesy for others. This really irked me today... and I am not in a good mood as a result of something so small yet so crappy.

No comments: