Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Losing Your Man... Football Season is Here... ALL GARBAGE, GARBAGE I TELL YOU

Alright... football season is here and much is made of people saying that they are going to lose thier husbands or boyfriends during football season. Yeah... football season is the best season of the year because it represents so much. For example:

A. It means grilling excessive amounts of food in the COLD weather.
B. It means that you will hear the crinkle of leaves under your feet when you walk the dog.
C. It means watching possibly 12 hours of men playing the American (blech to baseball in comparison) game.
D. It means that Sundays are filled with crappy food and lots of beer and stupid commercials.

In other words, football season is great and it requires a change in the behavior that dominated so much of the summer.

I got into a conversation with a friend of mine about how she loses her husband during football season and she just hates it. She complained that he spends a lot of time watching the game and she doesn't get to spend much time with him. I am not going to get into what goes on in their home... as that is her own problem...

At the same time, when you talk to my secretary, she has a different take on the football season. Until last week, she was loud and proud of how her husband is NOT a football fan. She is glad that he is a baseball fan.

I was perplexed by this as I think that having a husband who is a football fan is much more desirable than having a husband who is a football fan.

I asked her, "Do you like seeing your husband..."

She said, "Yes I do..."

I said, "Then you WANT them to be a football fan... They only watch football for about 20 days of the year while baseball fans are watching for 190 days of the year."

She had nothing to say.

Regardless of where you stand on the whole football season issue, I like the way muh wife handles it. I am so surpised to hear male friends of mine who tell me horror stories of how their wives only "let: them watch "one game" per Sunday. What? That isn't too productive in the grand scheme of things.

She doesn't really care for football and if it is a choice between sitting with me and watching a game or getting her eyes poked out by hot skewers, she will take the game any day. Tangent Woman knows that I like football and if it is on, I will want to watch it. She doesn't fuss and doesn't complain. To be honest... because she has this respect for something I like, I am MUCH more willing to go out during the day with her on a Sunday afternoon or a Monday night and miss a game or two. It is just about being polite and I have the best wife in the world.

P.S. All rules are suspended when the Raiders are on television since it happens so rarely.

2 comments:

seth said...

As you know, the men in my family have a season's worth of tickets to the New York Giants (as we have for several years now). My wife (who could be the best ever) is very cool with me not only going to the game, but with tailgating and all that, bascially spending 100% of my waking hours during home games at the stadium. She sees it as time the family gets to bond.

As for "away game" weekends...I'd rather watch the Giants, but if we have something else to do, then hell, that's what TIVO is for...I'm more than willing to go out and get chores done or attend a party or whatever..then when we get home, I watch the game on Tivo, which is just like LIVE since I don't already know the outcome.

All in all, it works for us!

KARCHAMB said...

A friend of mine and I had a football widows' dinner lately. This was not the day of a game, which we both happily watch. It was instead the night of the 6 hour fantasy football draft.

I happen to love football. What I don't love is hearing what one player needs to do on one team so that my darling hubby's fantasy team will one up someone else's team. I just want to get to enjoy each and every game.