Wednesday, September 07, 2005

An Open Letter To Music Lovers

Twice a year, I coordinate a CD exchange. It's a simple concept really and I learned it from Karen A. You can read her blog to the left. The basic gist is simple. You put together a CD of songs, you create a CD cover and then you mail a copy of it to each of the other participants. Hopefully, you will learn some new music or have a new CD of some old favorites. This Fall was no different. I figured that I would share with you what it is that I cam up with this time around.

My liner notes read like this:
"I remember back to the old days when a Beatles song was used to advertise NIKE. There was a big uproar from my music snob friends, and it drove others batty. Today, famous songs are used so much in advertising that people take them for granted. In fact, I discover new music in commercials like the Von Bondies or the Zutons.


For the past year, I have been taking notes of songs that were in commercials that I either re-discovered or found. My inspiration was 'I Want to Be Free' by Queen. I saw it in a C2 commercial and I was so happy to have remembered an old friend that I forgot about.


Enjoy my collection of songs that were in commercials. I know I do."

And here is my CD...and how it played out.


COMMERCIALLY SPEAKING
SUMMER 2005


INTRO -- If I Could Buy The World a Coke Original Theme
Queen -- I Want to Break Free -- (C2)
The Kinks -- Picture Book -- (HP)
5.6.7.8's -- Woo Hoo -- (Vonage)
War -- Why Can't We Be Friends? - (XM Satellite Radio)
Harry Nilsson -- EVerybody's Talkin' -- (SBC)
Biz Markie -- Just a Friend -- (Pepsi)
Von Bondies -- C'Mon C'Mon -- (HBO)
John Sebastian -- Welcome Back -- (Mylanta)
The Zutons -- Pressure Point -- (Levi's)
Journey -- Don't Stop Believin' -- (Fedex/Kinko's)
The Vines -- Ride -- (Nissan)
Kenny Loggins -- I'm Alright -- (American Express)
U2 - Vertigo --(iPod)
Yaz -- Situation -- (Nintendo)
David Bowie -- Young Americans -- (Fidelity Investments)
Earth, Wind, & Fire -- Shining Star -- (Gap)
Lovin' Spoonful -- Do You Believe in Magic? -- (Kohl's)
Nazareth -- Love Hurts -- (Norelco)
Harry Nilsson -- Coconut -- (Coke with Lime)
The Who -- I Can See for Miles -- (Sylvania)
Willie Nelson -- Always On My Mind -- (Levi's)
Muppets -- Mahna Mahna -- (Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper)




I will be sending out another invite for one of these on or around December 1st. Let me know if you are interested in participating and I will send an invite to you as well.



Sincerly,

The Smelmooo

2 comments:

steakbellie said...

did you rope Rob into this one year? I put together a kickass songlist for him with 'death' as the theme, and he scraped it for some other lame idea....Sounds like alot of work.

You should have everyone just post the song list in order so they can do it themselves, and then have them post the artwork in pdf format for easy download and printing....all this mailing is so 92.

m said...

bugsy let me listen to hers...i LOVE it! count me in next time!!

m