Monday, September 26, 2005

A Story of Mistaken Identity

Yesterday, after I finished taking Tucker to his third most favorite place in the world -- the puppy resort, I stopped by the adjacent Krauzers.

(For the record, Tucker's favorite place in the world is our house and his second most favorite place in the world is the dog park.)

I walked into the establishment that I have been in maybe two times and each of those times have been at odd times on the weekend.

When I walked into the store with two other people, I was immediately singled out and greeted separately by the gentleman behind the case. I thought about how nice that was.

I then perused the store and took a look around making a mental note of the layout of the store. I needed to find a soda and something to nosh on before I drove to work.

After 30 seconds of perusing, the kind gentleman from behind the counter walked up to me and asked me how I was doing. I said I was fine... and then he asked me if he could help me with something.

My mind began to race... I wasn't dressed in a shady manner. I was wearing a short sleeved polo shirt and a pair of khakis. I didn't stick out. He continued to be nice to me and cater to my needs.

When I finally gathered up all my items, he pushed the clerk aside and rang up my order with the biggest grin I have ever seen.

After everything was in the bag, did I find out why he was treating me the way he was.

He thought I was a plains clothes cop. He actually thanked me for staking out his store. I told him I wasn't a cop and then... he winked at me.

I insisted that I wasn't a cop... and he... winked at me again.

I left........mildly annoyed.

At least he could have given me something free!

1 comment:

steakbellie said...

Smelmooo, Smelmooo, Smelmooo......
Everyone knows that you should clearly state the truth the first time...if they dont buy it, then you run with the ball.

You have to go back tomorrow and start playing it up. Buy one of those police dress-up sets that they sell at the toystore, and pin the plastic badge onto your shirt. Let the plastic handcuffs dangle from your pocket, and get yourself some doughnuts in hand.

Aviator sunglasses are a must and keep giving the guy the thumbs-up and the 'finger-pistol'

frhldikb