Thursday, September 15, 2005

Poker Poker Everywhere....

This past Saturday, as you know, I hit Atlantic City with my friend Anthony to try our luck at some poker.

In preparation for our little trip, I played a few hours the week before on Party Poker and honed some of my skills. I have been playing really well as of late and I am proud to say that I was winning quite a bit.

We got to the Taj in separate cars and eventually were seated at a $3-$6 Hold 'Em table. One of the lower stakes tables in the place. We didn't want to get too crazy right away. Basically, if you can walk out with $100 more than you started then you have a really good run. The pots just don't get that huge.

When seated, we played for awhile watching our chip stacks going up and down and eventually it was time for Anthony to go home.

I decided that I was going to stay for a bit since I was doing extremely well.

It's a shame that he didn't stay longer because not too long after he left, a 50ish year old man sat down and pulled out 5 $100 bills. As you might imagine, that was way too much money to be playing with at this table. You need $100 maximum to give yourself a shot at winning anymore.

He claimed that he didn't know what he was doing. We all smirked and thought him a fool. Two hours later, we all realized that he wasn't lying. He really didn't know what he was doing.

For those of you that know poker, he was staying and raising when he had bottom pair. He would ride it all the way through even if the top card had paired on the board. He wasn't that good. I sometimes only had top pair and would play against him all the way to the end... just because I knew he was an idiot.

For that... I estimate that I took a couple hundred from him. My new tablemate did the same. We actually agreed to get out of each other's way whenever he would play.

It didn't hurt too that I was legitimately winning as well... the luck or the skill was on my side the other night.

Here's how it ended though. My chip stack was high and this guy's wife came over and asked him how he did. Now... with just $38 in front of him (a loss of $462), he replied with "Great!"

Ouch...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for not going into great detail my loosing streak.

It was a lot of fun!

Anthony

Smelmooo said...

you did it... not me.

That cute chick...took you out.

She took out three old men after you left too.

It was entertaining...